This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Size limitations of MSI scripts

2 replies to this topic

lzb7gp

lzb7gp
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 14:22

Im new to MSI script creation and I was told by a coworker that there may be limitations on the maximum size of the MSI script  as well as a maximum number of files allowed in a script.  Is this true?  If so, what are is the maximum size and maximum number of files.....

thanks!

lzb7gp

lzb7gp
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 19:28

Got the answer from MS on this one....thanks for all who viewed it.  For any who are curious MS says the following on it:

MSI comes with a default schema that sets the maximum number of files to 32,732 (size of a small integer).  You can, however, alter the schema to use more files.  As for the overall package size, typically there are maximum sizes software distribution tools have (like Tivoli, SMS, etc) for packaging, however, MSI itself does not have a size limitation.

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 14:31

But there are some other limitations. Some of them can be found in the MS installer SDK documentation. For example (Cut&Paste from docu):

Windows Installer Registry Limitations on Windows 95/98/Me
Microsoft® Windows® Installer has the following registry limitations on Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me). The stated limits for the maximum number of features or components are approximate. The actual limits can depend upon the installation.

- Registry values are limited to 16382 on Windows 98 and Windows Me, and limited to 16371 on Windows 95. This effectively limits the number of components per feature to 817. The limit varies depending upon any additional space needed to accommodate optional parent features, which should placed in the same value.

- The total size of a registry key and all its values is limited to 64 KB on Windows 95 only. This can limit the maximum total number of features and components in a product.

- Windows Installer version 1.2 saves in-progress information as a registry value. This can limit the maximum number of features on Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me. This limitation no longer exists with Windows Installer version 2.0 or later.

Note that some of these limitations may be checked by ICE47.
h.teichert-ott