This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Pluggable installation modules

3 replies to this topic

simowalooca

simowalooca
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 18:33

Hi there

I am trying to create pluggable modules to my installations (type of patches), but that add features to my msi database; i.e. when I maintain my installation I would see those modules that were added in the list of features:

I've tried to approach this in three different ways:

1. Creating a quick patch project : This however does not allow the addition of new features to the patch. Besides, patches cannot be suppressed once installed (product has to be un-installed entirely)

2. Creating a patch inside the installation: I get errors saying that some components (if not all) should not be suppressed in the newest release (this is not the case). A very confusing error that does not make any sense since I tried patching two identical releases and got the same errors.
In addition, features have to have the "follow parent" attribute (could not find it in the features properties) ...

3. Creating nested installations : this is where I am at right now...Haven't tried this yet. I guess the nested msi's need to have the same upgrade code...

I know this is a lengthy post, but any feedback/discussion would be more than welcome..

Thank you in advance!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 09:24

Patches are intended to deliver updates to your product, not to install plug-in modules.
If you want to add these modules at build time, look at merge modules.
If you want your users to be able to install them selectively on their machine, build separate msi files.
Don't use nested msi.

simowalooca

simowalooca
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 16:37

Thanks for the response Stefan!

I think I will go with separate msi files. However, how can I build a separate msi whose feature list integrates with that of an existing (master) msi?
I've tried assigning the same product code and upgrade code, but this does not seem to be working...

Many thanks in advance.

--
Simo

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:38

In the plug in MSIs you could check the install state of the components in main msi and use this as condition.