This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MM Custom Action cant reference MSI Property

5 replies to this topic

Tifoid

Tifoid
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 15:06

I have a merge module with a C++ dll custom action defined in it. It is supposed to read a public property set within the parent MSI to determine part of its actions. For some reason the property always returns zero (0) length (I can assure you that it is set). The same custom action run directly from within the parent MSI completes successfully.

Basically I am looking for a way to pass information to and from merge module defined custom actions into parent MSIs. I was hopping to use properties to do this, but it appears that this might be a problem. Anyone have any ideas?

BTW - I controll both the merge module and the parent MSI. I'm really trying to do this for time/labor savings, where I can work on one part and my buddy can work on the other part without us stepping on each other.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 17:29

If this property is a custom (self-defined) property, its name could be mangled by the merger. For instance, if your property is called "MY_PROPERTY", it could be renamed to "MY_PROPERTY.C7B142CC_E86A_4FE2_BBF0_20116E3E407B". The last part is derived from the module signature.

I've seen this happening with properties that were listed in the Properties table, although properties that were generated by AppSearch appear to be excluded.

I suggest to open the final MSI in Orca and see what properties actually exist at startup. Or run an install with a full log, the end of the log lists all properties with their final values.

Tifoid

Tifoid
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 17:31

Nope ... already thought to check that. Besides the property is in the parent MSI.

Tifoid

Tifoid
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 17:44

Here is something of interest ... the MSI handle passed into the custom action from the call by the MSI is different than the handle passed into the custom action from the call via the merge module. Any one know why the MSI handle might change?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 18:23

Are both custom actions of type immediate and called in the same sequence position?

Tifoid

Tifoid
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 19:37

You are the Man .... biggrin.gif

I accidentally set the one CA (in the merge module) to deferred. Setting that back to immediate execution fixed it right up.

Thanks