This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

All MSI installations on my computer are silent

5 replies to this topic

Orbbey

Orbbey
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:40

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 with Windows Installer 3.0.

For some strange reason, every single MSI install package that I open on my computer seems to run in silent/unattended mode. I initially thought it was because of my slow CPU or something, and the GUI's just didn't pop up, but then I did some searching on Google and Wikipedia and found out that the problem was with Windows Installer itself. I updated to MSI 3.0 and the problem still exists.

Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office and Virtual PC 2004, among other MSI based programs, all install silently and it's driving me freakin' nuts!. I can't even use Virtual PC because it requires a product key during installation, and becaue all installs are silent, I don't even get a prompt! sad.gif

I'm guessing that it may be a registry entry somewhere that's causing this. Can anyone help?

Edited by Orbbey, 17 February 2007 - 05:24.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:51

I think you are right that it is a registry setting. Unfortunately I am not familiar with it, I will check again when I get to my main computer. In the mean time, maybe check this registry key for any custom policies:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:54

Also check the command line used by explorer.exe by checking:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell\Open\command

It should be something like: "%SystemRoot%\System32\msiexec.exe" /i "%1" %*

If you see any /qb or /q entries here, take them out.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Orbbey

Orbbey
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:23

Thanks a lot for those tips Glytzhkof. I got all excited over the second one because that looked exactly like what might be causing the problem, but unfortunately, my HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell\Open\command registry line looks identical to yours sad.gif. No /qb or /q or any other switches that would cause installers to be silent.

I also did a registry search of /qb and /q and it came up with nothing sad.gif

Edited by Orbbey, 17 February 2007 - 05:23.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 18:55

Maybe a verbose log will help you:
msiexec.exe /i your.msi /L*v C:\log.txt

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:53

Entries defined in HKCU\Software\Classes\*.* could potentially override settings in HKLM\Software\Classes\*.*. However, HKCR should show a merged view from both hives, and as such the entry showing up in HKCR should be the one used. There is also an "Open With List" customizable for each user. I think it is stored here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts. I'd check that one too.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul