This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallShield training

4 replies to this topic

rmonroe

rmonroe
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:34

I am new to InstallShield and was wondering if there is any online training available for Basic MSI projects. I know InstallShield puts on classes in different cities, but my company does not want to foot the money for me to go. So, I am looking for another alternative to get me up and running quicker.

rmonroe

rmonroe
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 14:54

In searching around I finally found something. It's not online training, but it looks really good. There is a place called Wavepoint Studios that sells InstallShield training DVDs. The URL is www.wavepointstudios.net. Looks like there's an alternative now to attending a live class.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:49

I've had a look at the demo videos at the site, and from what I've seen I can't really recommend this training DVD.
For instance, in video 5 "How to create a minor update" I noticed a violation of the component rules - the EXE file is not the key path of the respective component. When InstallShield warns about this, the narrator says that you can safely ignore this warning because a registry entry is the key path of this component.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:49

I found the best way to learn about Basic Msi projects was to read the Microsoft Platform SDK.
You can then run installations with verbose logging and scan the output to see how everything works.

I know it will not really give you "training" as such, but its a really good way of finding out how the Windows Installer technology works.

Jian

Jian
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 21:18

>You can then run installations with verbose logging and scan the output to see how everything works.

Thanks very much -- I find out how to turn on the verbose logging, it is definitely helpful …

Edited by Jian, 31 July 2008 - 21:19.