This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

FilesInUse dialog

4 replies to this topic

Sofia

Sofia
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2001 - 14:26

I use ISWI 1.52 and have a problem with all my installations. I have to make sure that the files I am replacing are not in use.
The files are not replaced and I get no message about it either. When I run an uninstall I get a message if there are any files in use, but it looks nothing like the FilesInUse dialog.
I tought that the InstallValidate action checked if the files are in use and if so called the dialog. I added InstallValidate to the User Interface sequence because it was already in the Execute sequence and that did not help.

Please help!

SteveK

SteveK
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2001 - 21:13

Have the file versions been changed?  See "File Versioning Rules" in the MSI help files for the details on how MSI determines when to overwrite a file.

Sofia

Sofia
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2001 - 09:13

The files should in this case be replaced regardless of version or create date and they usually are. But if they are locked by an application, in this case MS Word, they are not replaced and the end user does not get any message about the file not being replaced.

I would like to show the FilesInUse dialog if any of the files to be replaced is locked by an application.
Does anyone know how to do that?

All help appreciated!
/Sofia

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 April 2001 - 12:48

From the MSI Help file:

If you expect the installer to display a FilesInUseDialog, but it does not, this may be due to one of the following reasons:

• The files in use are not executables.
  • The installer is not actually trying to install those files.
  • The process holding those files is the process invoking the installation.
  • The process holding those files is one that does not have a window with a title associated with it.

Sofia

Sofia
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 April 2001 - 07:25

Problem solved

The files were not executables so I made a Custom Action that check if the application exe is in use and then prompt the user if it is.

Thanks for all help!

//Sofia