This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Setting dependent features

5 replies to this topic

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 17:13

I can remember older version of InstallSheild had a way of setting 'dependent' features for other features. I think the field was a 'Requires' field where you could type in the names of the additional features that needed to be selected if/when you select a feature that had this field filled in.

How is this done in 2010?

Basically what I need/want to do is separate out my 'common files' so that is either 'feature A' or 'feature B' or 'feature C' get selected, the 'common files' get included in the file list to be installed.

I've checked the help for 'dependencies' and for 'required', but nothing obvious comes up.

Cheers,

Shawn

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 18:11

In project type "InstallScript" this is still possible. But Windows Installer (MSI) doesn't have such functionality. Instead you should attach the common components to all the features. Right click the feature and select "connect component".

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:27

Thanks Stefan!

However, there is not a 'connect component' option. There is an 'Associate Components' option though. Is this what you meant? This seems to allow assigning the same component to multiple features.

Cheers!

-Shawn

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:43

yes, that's what I meant smile.gif

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 13:38

Actually the MSI parent/child relationships between features do introduce a feature dependency:

- When a child feature is installed, the parent will always be installed.

It works the other way too: When a parent feature is removed, all its child features will be removed too.

I usually make a root feature with all shared components, so that when the user wants to install a child feature, he must always install the root parent. The name of the root feature is usually just the product name, I never get questions about that.

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 16:04

Thanks! That's another way to do it, but I've gone with the Associate Component method.