This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSM Problems

3 replies to this topic

KevinLaugh

KevinLaugh
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2002 - 22:19

Hello,
    I have been developing a project for some time now and using MSM's to install one portion and then an MSI that included an MSM to install the project. It has been working flawlessly for four months now in testing and then all of a sudden it failed. It seems that the msm's that are being included in my msm (eg tabctl32.msm) are not installing the files (e.g tabctl32.ocx). I am running XP home, VB6 sp5, and VSI 1.1. I saw posts around that windows installer sdk 1.5 could cause this by an incorrect mergemod.dll installed but this did not seem to fix my problem and I am running Windows Installer 2.0 sdk. I am about ready to format my c drive because I am so frustrated, does anyone have any ideas how I can force the msm's to be installed. This seems to be a bug with VSI. Thank you very much for the help.

P.S. Also in the MSI when I run the build I get tasks for each MSM that says: "The 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools\VSInst\BuildRes\TABCTL32.MSM' merge module referenced as a dependency of another merge module is not included in the project."  
Is this a bogus error message, and what does it mean?
Kevin Laughridge

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 01:25

The last error message, I think means the the MSM has a dependency and that dependency is not being included in the main project. Maybe try and find this dependency and add this in as well.

You can also use orca, a Windows Installer SDK tool to check the built MSI and see whether the MM files are being added or they are being added but not being installed correctly.

Also you could try a validate(in orca) and see if this returns any answers to you problem.

good luck  :)

KevinLaugh

KevinLaugh
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 02:28

Okay, I have used Orca to open the msi and the files are not being included, what would the reason be that they are not?
I took a look at my mergemod.dll file and it is at version 2.0.2600.0 Is this a problem or is this version ok?
Thanks for the help

Kevin

Perfecto

Perfecto
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 15:45

I have included all de msm that are dependency from another msm in the msi and the problem is gone. I noticed that VSI doesn't do it for you. Why? I don't know if it should do it.

Perfecto Martís.

ExperiWEB