This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Per-user application is not found

5 replies to this topic

Ajawl

Ajawl
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 14:57

Hi,
I am trying to search installed applications using the update table. The problem is that some times a application is found and some times not.

For example, two application (two different upgrade codes) will be searched. If the first application is installed as per-machine and the second application is installed as per-user, then just the first application will be found and the second will be ignored, as described in the log file:

Aktion 11:35:46: FindRelatedProducts. Verwandte Anwendungen werden gesucht
FindRelatedProducts: Anwendung gefunden: {D28106AA-E266-4506-B270-C88678E60344}
MSI © (94:60): FindRelatedProducts: current install is per-machine. Related install for product '{150A07BA-346E-47D2-8C1E-55E635C7AF2C}' is per-user. Skipping.
Aktion beendet um 11:35:46: FindRelatedProducts. Rückgabewert 1.

Just if the first application is not installed, then the second application (per-user!!), the same which was installed in the first case, will be identified, as described in the log file:

Aktion 11:38:38: FindRelatedProducts. Verwandte Anwendungen werden gesucht
FindRelatedProducts: Anwendung gefunden: {150A07BA-346E-47D2-8C1E-55E635C7AF2C}
Aktion beendet um 11:38:38: FindRelatedProducts. Rückgabewert 1.

Why does the per-user application was not found in the first case? Please, does anybody can help me?

Thank you,
Ajawl

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 23:52

Only products installing in the same manner will be processed so if your current install is per-machine then it will find per-machine products, if you are installing per-user it will find per-user. It sounds like either you have missed telling us something (or I misread something...) or your install is deciding on its own whether to install per-user or per-machine?

Bye,
Dennis
---
Dennis Bareis (dbareis@No.Spam.gmail.com)
Free MSI update/creation tool (MAKEMSI):
http://users.cyberon...eis/makemsi.htm

Ajawl

Ajawl
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 08:53

It could be a good tip, but the application, which is searching the other two applications, is installed always as per-machine.
This per-machine application can find also the per-user application (only if the other per-machine application is not installed).

I still cannot understand why the per-user application is not found only when the per-machine application is installed.

Thanks,
Ajawl

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 20:11

If you created your setup with InstallShield, you'll probably see a custom action ISSetAllUsers. This will get the ALLUSERS setting from the existing installation (that is being upgraded) and uses this for the current installation. This is to workaround the FindRelatedProducts limitation you encountered. In your case it's causing the seeminly random behaviour. Please read the help file about ISSetAllUsers which should help you understand what's going on.
If your new version will always be installed per-machine, and you never want to upgrade the per-user installed product, then you could remove the ISSetAllUsers action from your sequences.

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 23:07

Hi,

Is there a way of telling if any installed product is per-user or per-machine, I know you can tell it is per-user if its status says it was installed by another user but if it was installed per-user by me and I run a query as far as I know I can't tell the difference between per-user and per-machine (ie missing Windows Installer functionaility)...

Thanks,
Dennis
---
Dennis Bareis (dbareis@No.Spam.gmail.com)
Free MSI update/creation tool (MAKEMSI):
http://users.cyberon...eis/makemsi.htm

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 09:06

Look at MsiQueryProductState()