This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI build automation, recommendations?

1 reply to this topic

deanmarktaylor

deanmarktaylor
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 14:21

Hi,

I’m looking at automating the build process for at least 5 (five) of our products…
and would like peoples views and options.

I have been looking at using a combination of Visual Studio .NET 2003 Windows Installer stuff along with WiX and other tools… I’m interested in your MAKEMSI tool too.

I would like to be able to support (without too much effort) automatic upgrading of the products – when the user downloads and runs the latest installer.

Our products have the following dependencies:
- DirectX 8
- MSXML 3
- Standard Visual Studio Libraries (v.6)

- Checking to see if Adobe Acrobat would be nice
- Needs to code sign MSI etc.
- Must run on Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
- Banner bitmaps for installation dialogs should change on a per product basis.
- Both MSI &CAB and EXE Single install are required (Maybe use NSIS to create single EXE or IExpress)

Our product version number(s) are defined in a .h file, these would need to be extracted and included in the MSI property for version number.

The likelyhood is that the products (in the near future) would have a PRO version and would want to detect this and remove the STD product during an upgrade.

Do you have any comments on the best way forward or the best tools to be considering?

Really, many, many thanks for your help,
Kind Regards,
Dean Taylor

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:34

I’m interested in your MAKEMSI tool too.

You may want to contact the author of MakeMSI Dennis Bareis directly:
http://users.cyberon...is/feedback.htm