This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing third party applications

5 replies to this topic

Vaibhav.Goel

Vaibhav.Goel
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:29

Hi,

I am using Installshield 11 Pure Installscript project to create an installer for my Application. I need to install a couple of third party applications during the installation like MSDE 2000, Sentinel SuperPro Driver (dongle) etc. To accomplish this task I have placed the installation files of these applications along with my installation and use the LaunchAppAndWait function to launch the setups based on some conditions that require end-user input. Now I am facing two problems:

1. While installing the third party applications a FileInUse screen is displayed which states that my installer is running in background and needs to be shut down.

2. After installing the third party applications a restart system message box is shown but on pressing "Yes" it is unable to restart the system. This causes a problem specially with MSDE. If MSDE installation asks for a restart then the machine must be restarted otherwise the SQL Scripts do not get executed.

I am a newbie to Installshield. Can somebody help me in getting this done?

Thanks,
Vaibhav

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 16:17

A running InstalLScript setup will block reboot attempts. Exit your InstallScript install to allow the reboot, or suppress the reboot from the MSDE setup and reboot from your InstallScript setup.

Vaibhav.Goel

Vaibhav.Goel
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:54

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the response. Somebody suggsted me to use the Installshield MSDE 2000 object (available in the objects view after running the check for updates service). On using this the MSDE installation runs fine and I am able to solve the reboot problem. But now I am facing another problem. I have associated this object with a feature which i set to TRUE or FALSE depending upon whether the user wants to install it or not. For this i have used the following code:

FeatureSetupTypeSet( MEDIA, "Custom");
FeatureSelectItem ( MEDIA, "MSDEObject" ,FALSE );
FeatureSelectItem ( MEDIA, "MyAppFiles1" ,TRUE);
FeatureSelectItem ( MEDIA, "MyAppFiles2" ,FALSE);
nResult = ComponentMoveData( MEDIA, nDisk, 0 );

This works fine for "MyAppFiles1" and "MyAppFiles2" features. But does not work for "MSDEObject" feature. This feature is always getting installed despite setting it as false.

Is this the correct way to Install the application files?

Thanks,

Vaibhav

Vaibhav.Goel

Vaibhav.Goel
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:55

Hi,

Ok I solved this problem by setting the sub-feature as FALSE. But still my earlier problem remain. When I install MSDE 2000 through my InstallScript project MSDE setup gives me a FileInUse dialog (with Abort, Retry and Ignore buttons) and asks me to shut down my installation exe. This is occuring only on a freshly installed Windows NT system. If I press the Ignore button the MSDE installation continues successfully.
Now if I un-install MSDE and run my installation again MSDE gets installed without any problem. This problem is not occuring on Windows XP systems.
Is this something to do with the Windows Installer? Why is it not occurring on re-installation?

Vaibhav

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 18:44

To diagnose this problems you would need to find out which file is locked and requires the reboot. The tool WhyReboot might help you: http://www.exodus-de...ucts/WhyReboot/

Vaibhav.Goel

Vaibhav.Goel
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:33

Hello Stefan,

Thanks for the response but the utility is not of much help. While browing through Installshield help I found that it could be some installation engine related problem.

Quote from Installshield Help File:

"When using LaunchAppAndWait to launch a second installation, the second installation should use the same or an earlier version of the installation engine. (This is because the launching installation locks engine files that a launched installation would attempt to overwrite if its engine version was later.) "

How do I find out the installation engine version? Can this be the cause of my problem?

Thanks,

Vaibhav