This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Cleaning MSIs

2 replies to this topic

andyguest13

andyguest13
  • Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 16:24

Hello;

When using InstallShield's DirectEditor, or Orca, it looks to me like i have a load of unused strings and properties that have built up over the years. For all i know there may be redundant entries in a lot of tables. Is there a cleaning utility or method other than manually going through all the tables?

thanks
andy

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 21:59

If you do a validation (with ICE etc., in Orca) that will point out components not bound to features, directory table entries with non-existing parents, etc.
But unused entries in the tables like Property, Error, UIText and ActionText will not be found: they are typically used by custom actions (DLL or script), and they fall outside the scope of the investigation. AFAIK InstallShield does not offer any tools that investigate all InstallScript, to detect whether a property is used.

andyguest13

andyguest13
  • Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:04

Thanks for your reply - and to my other question, too. Both were very helpful. I turned on the ICE Validations - my eyes must have glazed over previously because i did know that feature was there but i never ran it. Now to try and resolve the tens of errors!!

cheers
andy