This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error 2709 and 1709

7 replies to this topic

waheeddanish

waheeddanish
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 22:31

Hi

I am trying to install a package I authored that has over 80,000 components and files but only 1 feature (don't ask why as it is the requirement from manufacturer of the software).
Any ideas why I get the errors when I try to install it? I have checked the component and featurecomponent tables but no cigar.

Thanks

Danish Waheed

I get the following error:

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2709. The arguments are: component80747, , MSI © (C8:EC) [11:52:29:619]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error MSI © (C8:EC) [11:52:29:619]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709 MSI © (C8:EC) [11:52:29:635]: Product: Catia V5.15 -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2709. The arguments are: component80747, ,

Action ended 11:52:29: CostFinalize. Return value 3.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:35

The error message means that component name component80747 was not found in the component table.
Did you validate your package?
Open the .msi file to see if the component with that name is actually there.
Did yu adjust the schema of your .msi file as described in MSI Help doc "Authoring a Large Package" (I guess yuo also have a lot of files in there)? Quote: "If your Windows Installer package contains more than 32767 files, you must change the schema of the database..."

waheeddanish

waheeddanish
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 14:32

Hi Stefan

Thanks for the reply to my post.

Yes I did modify the schema to change it to LongInteger(I2 to I4) for both Media and File table.

Surprisingly the component exists and I did run the full validation via Orca and it displayed just a few warnings about Windows 98 but no errors. The funny thing is that if I break the msi into two or three separate msi files and use those with same cab files, it works fine(I have three cab files created as there is a limit of 65,000 files per cab so I did the split of cab files to three to be on the safe side).

What and where should I look for solution for problems like these? I also tried using two features instead of one but got the same error. Are there any limitations besides File and Media table I2 to I4 settings?

Thanks

Danish Waheed

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 17:38

Do you also have a large number of directories in your setup?

waheeddanish

waheeddanish
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 17:00

Yes I have a large number of directories. But breaking components down into two or three features does not help unless I create a separate msi for each feature (with each feature holding about 30,000 files). But if I create a single msi with three features, it fails.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 07:29

Check your Directory table whether many of these directory names are in upper case chacters. Try to change (at least some of them) to mixed or lower case, to see if that helps.

waheeddanish

waheeddanish
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:49

Hi Stefan

Thanks again for taking time to read and reply to my post.

All directories are lower case. Actually I used mallow.exe (variation of tallow.exe in WiX) to create the file components. All directories are named like directory0....directory24701 for example.

If you like I can share the project file with you.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Danish Waheed

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:34

In this case I don't know what to do. My idea about the upper case directory entries was: they get converted to upper case, and therefore public, properties, which get passed from UI to execute sequence on the command line. I suspected that you may be running into a limit for the length of that command line.

Maybe someone on the WiX-users list can help?