This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How To uninstall

6 replies to this topic

laserwave

laserwave
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:27

respected sirs,
I'm presently working on Medical based application , the release version is projected at 11the Dec and I've to impliment Install shield, and Winhelp files for the application.
Install shield:
How to do Deinstallation.Presently my application can be uninstalled from controll panel>Add/Remove Programs but I want a shortcut as usual case.

Actually there are some functions predefined in wizard , I've also gone through theory bud dont know where to put those functions in the script.How they get called when shortcut in program folder is run.what is the process? Is any example script available that uninstalls the application on call.

Can some expert of Install shield give me the script for customizing the application?

Help System:
I've created help system in Winhelp but unable to connect .cnt to application.When I invoke .Hlp the .Cnt should be invoked but actually only .Hlp runs and .cnt no where get the call. HOW? ph34r.gif

I'm stuckd
ThnX in advanced
nikhileshsawarkar@rediffmail.com

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 15:55

For the uninstall shortcut, as denoted in the Basic FAQ, you can retrieve the uninstall command from the following registry location:

HKLM\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\<ProductGUID>\\UninstallString (string value)

where ProductGUID is the GUID of your project and available from the Application tab of the Project | Settings dialog. The system variable PRODUCT_GUID also hold this value.

Then you can use this information to call AddFolderIcon during the OnFirstUIAfter event.

As for your help issue, unfortunately I can't assist you with that as I've never created a Winhelp file, so that's outside my area of expertise.

user posted image

laserwave

laserwave
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:10

Actually sirs the case is..
I'm able to uninstall through control panel(Add/Remove Programs) in win98(16bt)
but it is not creating regestry entry in XP and NT in control panel.

here is Process before data move..

/ Function: ProcessBeforeDataMove                                          //
//                                                                          //
//  Purpose: This function performs any necessary operations prior to the    //
//          actual data move operation.                                    //
//                                                                          //
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
function ProcessBeforeDataMove()
    STRING svLogFile,svfile, nvType, szUninstall, nvSize;
    NUMBER nResult;
begin

InstallationInfo( @COMPANY_NAME, @PRODUCT_NAME, @PRODUCT_VERSION, @PRODUCT_KEY );
  svLogFile = UNINST_LOGFILE_NAME;

szAppPath = TARGETDIR; // TODO : if your application .exe is in a subdir of TARGETDIR then add subdir
  svfile = TARGETDIR + "\\ReMeDi.exe";
  if (Is (FILE_LOCKED, svfile)) then
        MessageBox ("ReMeDi is already running. It is highly recommended that you close the application \n before proceeding.",SEVERE);
        exit;
  endif;
  DeinstallSetReference (svfile ^ @PRODUCT_KEY);
  RegDBSetDefaultRoot (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT);

//****************
nvType =  REGDB_STRING;
nResult = RegDBGetKeyValueEx(UNINSTALL_KEY, "UninstallString", nvType, szUninstall, nvSize);

if (nResult = 0) then
    //CREATE SHORTCUT
else
  //ERROR FINDING ARP ENTRY
endif;
  //*******************

nResult = DeinstallStart( svDir, svLogFile, @UNINST_KEY, 0 );
  if (nResult < 0) then
      MessageBox( @ERROR_UNINSTSETUP, WARNING );
  endif;

if ((bIs32BitSetup) && (bIsShellExplorer)) then
      RegDBSetItem( REGDB_APPPATH, szAppPath );
      RegDBSetItem( REGDB_APPPATH_DEFAULT, szAppPath ^ @PRODUCT_KEY );
      RegDBSetItem( REGDB_UNINSTALL_NAME, @UNINST_DISPLAY_NAME );
// endif;

// TODO : update any items you want to process before moving the data
  //*/

return 0;
  end;

Is any problem in code?
One other problem while testing I got is its no installing in XP and NT .My Installshield is working only for win 98.(Though in project setting I put win98 and NT4)Why?
Thank u Very Much ph34r.gif

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 15:25

Well, I don't normally do both Win9x and NT-based setups.

However, stepping back for a moment, I wouldn't expect that you need to override the ProcessBeforeDataMove function, so have you tried reverting that back to the defaults and comparing the new results?

Also, you definitely should have ALL supported versions of Windows checked under your project settings.

Finally, to properly support XP, you need to be on IS v6.3.1.
user posted image

laserwave

laserwave
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:11

THNX ,..Its getting started
Now How to put Entries in ADD/Remove Programs in NT and XP
In which function?

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 16:18

Well, as I said, I don't normally develop setups for both series of OSes. Therefore, I'm also not sure how much is automatically done for you depending on the OS.

However, this stuff is typically handled in the OnMoving event, but for NT & XP would you please confirm how much of the uninstall information is being written to the registry? Check out my earlier reply for help with tracking this down.
user posted image

laserwave

laserwave
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 05:48

Actually , sir, for Xp system in the following path , it is not adding any info in the registry..
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> Uninstall -> PRODUCT(GUID)
However, this has never been the case in 9x.(Its automatic.)
How to add it then?

There are some other Difficulties that I'm facing.
Like.
1.My setup is running in Administrator mode fine .But in user mode it simply terminates without any message just after initialization of Install shield.
Some of the other problems I'll discuss later.First i wnat these to be fixed out.
THNX !!