This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

System File Protection

5 replies to this topic

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 06:25

It is not entirely clear to me how SFP really works. I installed Kodak EasyShare the other day, and it is clear that it has replaced some system files. The question is how did it succeed doing this? I was under the impression that the only way to update these files was using Microsoft's service pack installations or hotfixes. I assume this means that the Kodak setup then have silently installed some hotfix from Microsoft during the main setup installation? Am I correct in this assumption, or is there some poorly documented way to make windows installer replace a system file and have the change persist?

(I am talking about a "legal" way of doing it. I assume you can hack this by replacing the file in the dllcache folder as well as in the system folder with a custom action, but anoyone doing this should be shot smile.gif)
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 13:11

Which file has been updated? On which operating system? I installed Kodak EasyShare a few weeks ago on XP and I'd like to check.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 04:20

I didn't extract a list of the files replaced, but what happened was that I was monitoring the setup using Unicenter repackager. After I was done capturing the system changes I was notified that "...the system is permanently changed, windows protected files have been updated and the reference system cannot be reset". I will see if I can get a list of the files replaced.

And the system I installed on was XP, SP1.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 25 July 2004 - 04:21.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Petch

Petch
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:44

If a program uses a different method to replace protected files, WFP restores the original files. The Windows Installer adheres to WFP when installing critical system files and calls WFP with a request to install or replace the protected file instead of trying to install or replace a protected file itself.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:40

Hi Petch, yes I have read that section a number of times smile.gif. The problem is that the MSI setup DID replace system files, regardless of the fact that it is supposed to obey this rule. I am wondering how this happened, and the only thing I can think of is a silent install of a Microsoft hotfix.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Petch

Petch
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:22

My point exactly. I have read it several times too... rolleyes.gif