This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error 1931 - Windows File Protection triggers?

1 reply to this topic

derekf

derekf
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 14:03

I've got to put Wceusbsh.sys in the System32\Drivers folder on target machines.

The file does not exist in the target folder, but it IS found in the Driver.cab file in the "Driver Cache" folder. It's safe to assume that all target machines will have a similar configuration, this is a standardized corporate environment with Windows XP SP1 on Dell GX110s. Wceusbsh.sys is the USB driver for Pocket PC-based handheld devices.

When the file is put in the Drivers folder, an error pops up - "Error 1931: The Windows Installer service cannot update the system file C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Wceusbsh.sys because the file is protected by Windows. You may need to update your operating system for this program to work properly."

After the error message, the file does exist in the Drivers folder, but it is not the version I attempted to put down (3.71.3244) - it's the version from the Driver.cab (1.0.36764.0).

I've got an .INF file for this file and the driver it's associated with, I just don't know how to use it - so if there's a better/easier way involving the .INF I'd happily do that. Otherwise, I need a way to work around WFP.

Thanks in advance!
Derek

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 08:29

This is exactly how windows installer file protection is supposed to work, it will install the "last known good" version of the file windows installer is trying to install. It MAY work to digitally sign this driver and then install it, but I think only Microsoft has the API and the certificates needed to replace windows protected files.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul