This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

DLL Version conflict

3 replies to this topic

vPanchumarthi

vPanchumarthi
  • Full Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:24

Hi,

I have a few doubts about dll overwrite. We are having a product which involves in COM binaries. For every build we will be incrementing the COM binaries. Say Build 1 is having a COM binary version as 110 and Build 2 is having COM binary version as 111.

Right now Iam having Build 2 installed in my system. Over this, If I try to install build 1 , am I able to register the COM dll having version 110? or else does the installer will treat that Build 1 is having a less COM Version 110 compared to installed COM version 111 and may not register the 110 version dll?

Can anybody provide me solution over this problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 14:00

If the registry data is in the same component as the dll file, they should only get installed/overwritten if the component is installed/overwritten. So if your files are versioned properly (file evrsion info) and this information is stored in the msi tables properly, older versions shouldn't overwrite newer versions (unless you set the REINSTALLMODE to do so)

vPanchumarthi

vPanchumarthi
  • Full Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:23

Hi stefan,

Thanks for the reply. If older versions shouldn't overwrite newer versions , then we need to set REINSTALLMODE = omus OR REINSTALLMODE = vomus?

can you please tell me about this. Right now in my application, Iam having the following properties.

REINSTALLMODE=omus REINSTALL=ALL

Thanks in advance.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:10

That's correct. If the new version is a Minor Update shipped as full msi file (not a msp patch) then you must set REINSTALLMODE=vomus (including the v) from the program that invokes the msi file to make sure the new version of the msi is re-cached.