This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Launching a self-extracting exe in Installscript

2 replies to this topic

Mariscal

Mariscal
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 22:23

Hello everyone,

I am installing a self-extracting exe in my installation (containing ~2000 files) and would like to automate its extraction in the install script. The developer hard-coded a target directory when he created the exe, but I would like to pass the user's selected TARGETDIR as well as the command to extract during OnFirstUIAfter.

I have attempted "/extract_all:<path>" from a cmd prompt as a test, but all that occurs is that the Unzip window allowing one to browse, unzip, etc is opened. Now, perhaps it is not unreasonable to ask the user to do this during the install process, but is there a way to do this behind the scenes? This is of course more a WinZip question than an InstallShield one, but I have thus far had no luck there, and figure that perhaps someone here has dealt with this. wink.gif

Thanks for any suggestions or information.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 14:38

This is indeed more of a WinZip question, but if you can repackage the EXE that would be best. 'cause then you can drop the hard-coded path and probably just use ChangeDirectory to change the current directory prior to the extraction.

If repackaging is an option, then another alternative is to use something other than WinZip, such as InstallShield's PackageForTheWeb, which has more flexibility/functionality.

Worst case though, you can also just programatically moved the files afterwards from the hard-coded path to the desired location.
user posted image

Mariscal

Mariscal
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 19:03

Thanks, Taco. I'll see if I can make use of one of these alternatives.