This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing SQL 2005 with custom action

3 replies to this topic

Angua

Angua
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:17

Hi,

I need to install SQL 2005 Express Edition with my software program.

First I tried by just adding the SQLEXPR_ADV.EXE to a custom action. This does not work since I already have an installation running. At least that is the error message that I get.

So now to my question. I install this file to the same directory as my application and then I want to run it from there. How do I do this?
Is there anyone else having this kind of problem with SQL?

I appreciate any help that I can get.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:34

You should use an external exe to run your install and the SQL install sequentially. Some setup tools can do this (e.g. InstallShield's Prerequisites).

Eugene82

Eugene82
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:18

You can install sql from bootstrapper or from msi, but it should placed in UI sequence.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 17:13

QUOTE (Eugene82 @ 2010-10-27 10:18)
it should placed in UI sequence.

Given that SQL Server is *most* likely to be installed in a corporate environment and that most such environments push installs silently, how will your method work?

Remember also that nested MSIs are now universally regarded as A Very Bad Thing.

Edited by VBScab, 27 October 2010 - 17:14.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.