This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Some files not automatically updated

5 replies to this topic

badzoy07

badzoy07
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:20

I'm using Wise for windows installer project. When there are updates on the files(ex. new version of dll) , the files are not automatically reflect the changes. You still have to add the files manually to be able to reflect the new version, though the dates are updated but the file size and version are not. However, when no changes in versions, the files are updated.

Right now, I'm doing manual checking of each files with updates to make sure that it is new. I mapped the files in one of my drive so i don't need to change the location. I want to get rid of the manual interventions as it is time consuming and will be implementing automated build.

Can someone please help me? I'm not sure if there are some settings that just needs to be selected. I appreciate any help. Thank you!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:18

Did you increment the file version when you built the new DLLs?
Do the updated file information (like version number, size) get stored in the new MSI file?
Did you change the PackageCode when building the new MSI file (maybe Wise does this automatically for you). Compare the PackagesCodes of the two packages in Orca.
Did you generate a install log? Are there SELMGR errors in this log?

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:21

Stefan,

I *think* what the OP is referring to is WPS's habit of not automatically updating a file's (let's call them) properties when it's updated.

That is, you have an MSI which refers to an EXE which is, say, v1.2.1. You're then asked to package the update, v1.2.5 (say). So, you copy the v1.2.1 project to a new v1.2.5 project, and copy in the new executable. You then open the "new" MSI, change the ProductCode and PackageCode, the ProductVersion property and so on. However, when you view the file in WPS's UI, it still shows the EXE as v1.2.1. You have to double-click the file in the UI then click 'OK' in order to make the view reflect the new properties.

I had thought that compiling the MSI sorted that, though...
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

badzoy07

badzoy07
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:57

I have changed and incremented the version including the package code.
I usually creates multiple builds in the same project like ex. v1.2.5 - in a week without updating the version in the build as it needs to reflect the same version of the installer. With that, it sometimes fails to update the file as well.

But I'll also check if saving the file will reflect the change.
Thank you!

badzoy07

badzoy07
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 13:49

Does compiling it with .bat file to automate the build process will consider updating the files even without double-clicking the file in the UI and pressing 'OK' in order to make the view reflect the new properties?

Also how do you update the files in the merge module? Do I just need to make sure that the dll version are updated? Or there's still some configurations that needs to be done aside from upgrading the versions.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 16:04

The msm or msi files include a File table where information such as the file version ist stored. This should match the actual version of the DLL. So when you build a new version of your DLL with incremented version number you need to make sure this number is also in the msi or msm files. I'm not using Wise so I don't know exactly how to refresh or rebuild that data in the msi/msm. It may require to rebuild/recompile the msi/msm.