This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to validate serial number

5 replies to this topic

tktk

tktk
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 09:59

Hi all.
I'm working with MSI basic project on InstallShield X.

Can anyone tell me how to validate serial number (user input) on
CustomerInformation dialog please ?

I think this is a FAQ, and searched in forums and IS help file but
couldn't find any information for that.

I'm sorry for a stupid question but tell me any starting point, outline
for that or pointer to web site please.

thank you.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 11:54

The basic idea is to call a custom action in a DLL that would verify the serial number and set a property if the result is correct.

tktk

tktk
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 07:47

Hi Stefan, thanks for the advice.
I'll try to implement dll and to use custom action.

vaqueros

vaqueros
  • Full Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 15:00

I have a custom DLL that does just that. I have set conditions on the Customer Information dialog to spawn a dialog on validation fail and to proceed to next screen on validation success. My problem is that I have to click twice on the Next button in order for conditions to work properly. For example, on a fail serial clicking Next does nothing but clicking Next a second time launches the spawn dialog. Same thing with a valid serial, on first click nothing happens but clicking Next again proceeds to next screen. What gives?

Thanks in advance.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 20:37

It is generally better to add a dialog to the application itself to enter the serial number, or just offer to write a raw serial number to the registry during installation. As soon as you use a dll with an interface to validate the serial you are making it way too easy to crack the license. Of course validation done by the application EXE is vulnerable too, but you at least have more control of the validation process, and it is easier to update it.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 14:46

Please check the sequence of evens for the Next button and make sure that each of them has a condition (the condition field should not be blank for any of the events).