This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

32 bit install on 64 bit machine

7 replies to this topic

Seany

Seany
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 17:25

Hi
This may seem like a daft question but if i have an exisiting install (created using Installshield 2010 Premier) that was written soley to install 32 bit files onto 32 bit systems should i need to update or change it if someone now wants to install onto a 64 bit machine, e.g. a machine with Windows 7?

I've noticed that files that I install to Windows\System32 on a 32 bit machine now seem to go to the Windows\SysWow64 folder on a 64 bit machine.

I have tried installing onto a Windows 7 machine and recieve a couple of failed to register messgaes, one for mfc40.dll and one for MSHFlxGd.ocx.

I think maybe mfc40.dll is somehow protected on the 64 bit machine and that is what is causing the problem (i'm guessing this). As for MSHFlxGd.ocx I googled some info that said this as a bug in Windows 7?

Any advice or information regarding any of these points wouls be much appreciated.

Thanks

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 15:39

It's been awhile since I've last tried to add 64-bit OS support to a 32-bit install, but from what I recall, it was essentially automatic due to the OS's backwards compatibility support.

However, from the registration problems your reporting, it sounds like in your case you should move those particular files from the system32 equivalent to your application's local BIN directory and then registering them from there instead. Either automatically like you do now and/or manually through "hard-coded" registry entries.

Hope it helps and let me know if you can provide further assistance.
user posted image

Seany

Seany
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:52

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I've never worked out how to have local sets of files in application\BIN folders, is there a way of doing this for VB6 applications?
I've done it for .NET applications where it just seems to be the standard thing to do.

Also I've noticed that if I run my setup in compatibilty mode when I install on a 64 bit machine I do not get the errors.

I'm not convinced that the errors reported are real either because the application still seems to work. Do you know if there is a way of suppressing errors for a particular file or maybe component/feature?

Thanks

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 15:38

I don't know about doing this for VB6 applications as I don't have much experience with them.

I also would expect that compatibility mode could improve the outcome.

Finally, I don't know a way of suppressing these errors short of conditionalizing your install to simply not peform them on 64-bit OSes.
user posted image

Seany

Seany
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 16:00

Hi again

Thanks for your help, I'll post again if/when I figure something out

McKane

McKane
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 13:47

Doesn´t anyone have an answer for this question? I saw the same on StackOverflow, no answers as well..

Link to StackOverflow

McKane

McKane
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 16:25

QUOTE (McKane @ 2012-02-07 13:47)
Doesn´t anyone have an answer for this question? I saw the same on StackOverflow, no answers as well..

Link to StackOverflow

Resolved! Take a look at StackOverflow

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 21:12

Good to know McKane and glad you got it resolved.
user posted image