This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Basic MSI Project - 2 Instances of Setup.exe

5 replies to this topic

Alamelu

Alamelu
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:34

Hi,

When i install the Setup.exe developed by Basic MSI project 8, two instance of the same Setup.exe is running simultaneously.

What i am trying to say is, i click on Setup.exe for the first time, i move dialog by dialog and the installation is in progress, when the installation of the first instance is in progress if i click Setup.exe for the second time, still the installation is running. It is not giving any error.

Is this the way the Setup.exe of Basic MSI Project behaves?

But when i install the Setup.exe developed by InstallScript MSI project 8, when i try to run Setup.exe package for the second time, it clear popup a message saying, "Windows installer is running a instance of the product".

My question now is,
How do i stop the second instance running in Basic MSI project?

Thanks,
Alamelu

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:23

Yes this is the standard behaviour. However only one setup can be in the execute sequence, so once you went through the dialogs of the second instance you should get an error message that another installation is currently in progress.

Alamelu

Alamelu
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:55

But Stefan Even when i get through the dialog of the second instance i am not getting any error messages saying another installation is in progress. It still works fine as if that was the first installation.

How to make the second instances throw an error message?

Thanks,
Alamelu

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 21:13

Maybe another problem with the "InstallScript MSI" project type. I recommend using "Basic MSI" instead.

Alamelu

Alamelu
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 18:54

Actually this post should be posted in Basic MSI only. Mistakenly i have posted it here.

My problem is, a Setup in Basic MSI only fails to throw a error message while running the second instance when first instance is running. Setup from InstallScript MSI works fine.

So i asked how to stop the second instance running in Basic MSI?

Thanks,
Alamelu

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:54

Moving question to Basic MSI forum.