This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installshield Developer 8 quickpatch

6 replies to this topic

gurleygirl

gurleygirl
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 22:42

I have a project set up in developer 8 that I want to patch the *.exe file. I clicked on QuickPatch and had that link to my setup.exe file. In Files of the developer tree I moved the old *.exe and wanted to patch it with my new *.exe. I checked "overwrite..." and built the thing. THe new product version is 1.2.1.... the old one 1.1.1.... well, it didn't work. Windows installer is telling me it can't find the file or it's already updated. This is the second patch for this program. The first patch was done in 6.3 with a find, remove and replace code. I also tried to do a minor upgrade but with no luck. Installer tells me it did the upgrade but there's no difference in the program. How do I make a service release for my program?

Thank you: mellow.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:25

You must base the patch on the same (old) file version that is actually installed on the target computer.

gurleygirl

gurleygirl
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 19:39

So the version number has to be exactally the same?

Do I need to make a minor upgrade then? The origional program (I didn't do, the other tech did it...) doesn't have an upgrade code. Where can I find a step-by-step for upgrade help?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:33

A patch should be a small or minor update. Since it's the binary difference between the base version and the new version, it requires the exact same base version to be present on the target machine. If the existing instalaltion has been updated by some other means then the binary diff will no longer match.

gurleygirl

gurleygirl
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 17:36

Makes sense...

So now what do I do? huh.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:15

Avoid replacing (updating) files by other means (InstallShield 6.3) than Windows Installer.
Did you try this:
In Files view under "Files to Patch" select the respective file and put a checkmark to the option "Overwrite any existing file"

gurleygirl

gurleygirl
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 21:22

yes, I did check that box...

This will be the first upgrade on this program there hasn't been anything else messing with it.

Edited by gurleygirl, 09 May 2005 - 21:23.