This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Changes to Setup.rul don't take

4 replies to this topic

JohnImhoff

JohnImhoff
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 21:16

Hello,

I use InstallShield Professional 5.5. From time to time changes I make to Setup.rul do not show up in the behaviour of Setup.exe after a build. I've tried doing File::Save instead of clicking on the save icon then doing the build. No joy. I've tried using the Build Wizard and specifying a full build. Still no joy. I've tried restarting IS to no avail. When the changes do take, I have no idea what I did different (or didn't do) to get 'em to take. Any ideas here? Thanks. - John

JohnImhoff

JohnImhoff
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 23:12

A few more details:

I wonder if Windows is cacheing the Setup.exe so that even if I build a new one, Windows runs the old one from cache?

I got my changes to Setup.rul to take by going to the Build menu and running "Run Setup (New Media)", then rebuilding again. Then it ran fine from disk. Could be coincidental, I suppose.

- John

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 01:14

For what it is worth, when building manually, I always press the compile button and then the build button.  In our batch files, we always delete the setup.ins file so that the compile will take place - instead of perhaps being skipped because 'source is not newer than output' or some such internal checking.

EberhardH

EberhardH
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 06:24

Yes, Blake is very right: after modifying setup.rul (or other script files), do always compile before building a new media. Or go to menu item "Build" -> "Settings", open tab "Compile/Link" and tick the check box "Compile before build".

I experienced a different bad behaviour. If you replace a file in your file groups' tab (if file groups are static links), IS does not realize it - unless either the size of the file or the time stamp are different! So do at least manually modify the time stamp (increase the seconds, e.g.) if you want your file to bear a specific time stamp, to reflect its version number.

JohnImhoff

JohnImhoff
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 19:35

Very cool. Thanks Blake and Eberhard. - John