This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patch install causes problem for later reinstall

4 replies to this topic

zaitao

zaitao
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 22:53

Hi,

I have a minor upgrade patch install, basically adds a few new files. The patch install work fine.

But after applying the patch, if I use the maintenace install from Add/Remove program file to add new features, I get error message saying that files can not be found. The original install is delivered as compressed MSI file, it get cached in "c:\WINNT/Downloaded Install file/[product code]/[MsiFileName]" dir. After the patch, when a new feature is added by modifying the install, I get error like this: could not find "c:/WINNT/Downloaded Install file/[product code]/[MsiFileName]/[path]/[file name]".

It seems that after the patch is applied, MSI thinks that the cached MSI file is not compressed, but uncompressed, and it tries to find files in a uncompressed directory structure, instead of the MSI file itself.

Anyone has any idea what causes this in the patch install. I am using InstallShield 9 and the patch is created by using Patch Design.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:30

Have you tried the same without patch?
When Windows Installer caches the MSI file, it removes the embedded CAB file, so only the MSI database is cached. If you want to add a feature Windows Installer will need access to the original MSI file (in your CD or whereever), the cached copy will not be sufficient for this.

zaitao

zaitao
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 15:33

Thanks for you reply.

Without applying the patch, the maintenace install works fine. I can do any modification without any problems.

The cached MSI under WINNT is the compressed MSI file, I have checked it's size, it's definitely the compressed one with the cab file.

The original install is installed from a compressed setup.exe file from a network location.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:04

Oops, you're right, sorry for the confusion. Windows Installer removed the CAB from the msi file it puts in its own cache, in Windows\Installer directory. However the Downloaded Installations folder is the place where setup.exe caches the extracted msi file (and the actual installation is then run from there).

zaitao

zaitao
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 17:40

For people may have had the same problem.

Here is what causes this problem. When creating a patch build, I have been using the an uncompressed build as the latest install image, this causes the patched install "thinks" that the installation is from a uncompressed file.

The solution is to use the compressed image as the latest install image, this requires an addmin install from the compressed setup.exe. And I use this image to replace the uncompressed build directory.