This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall Status

2 replies to this topic

asn2379

asn2379
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 04:56

Hi,
I am new to installation coding. I have a problem, and I would request somebody to help me. We are using Installshield 6.1.Whenever we run the Setup for our application, it will first see whether previous versions are already installed.If so, it will display that to the user, asking him to first Uninstall it. The point here is at any given time,the user should have only one version of our product.We don't allow the user to have different versions of our product. We determine through a labourious way to find the previous version and show them to the user.Once the user says yest to uninstall the previous version, we call the function LaunchAppAndWait, passing the necessary information so that the uninstall for the previous version gets called. This is fine,but if the user immediately clicks the Cancel button in the dialog(where it says ,<App name> install is preparing the Installsheild process which will guide you through the rest of the process etc etc), the uninstall for the previous version terminates without actually uninstalling it. Right now our code doesn't checks whether the uninstall actually completed or not, and it continues with teh current install and installs the current version. so we end with two versions of our product which is not desirable.
LaunchAppAndWait just gives the status of the other setup process which is launched to uninstall.is there any way I can keep track of the status of the uninstall.
please somebody help me, as it is very urgent for me to fix this problem.Do I need to write a custom uninstall method.since i am new to this site, I dont know where to look for more information abou this.
Any help,guidance will be highly appreicated.

Thanks,
Arun.

EberhardH

EberhardH
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 08:45

Hi Arun,

why not make a loop with calling the uninstaller for a previous version? The exit condition of the loop is that there is no pre-version existing.

Detect the existance of the pre-version. Run the uninstaller. If the user has pressed the Cancel button, your setup will continue immediately after the uninstaller call. Now check if there's still the pre-version there. If so, give the user a warning (MessageBox) and point to the fact that he must not cancel the uninstallation. Re-run the uninstaller.
Exit this loop after the uninstaller returned - and the pre-version does no more exist.

This should solve your problem in the easiest way.

Eberhard

asn2379

asn2379
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 21:58

Hi Eberhard,
Thanks for your timely help. Your logic did help me in fixing the issue.

Thanks,
Arun.