This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patch is very big

6 replies to this topic

bholz

bholz
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 16:06

Hi,

I managed to create a patch with ISD 7.04 for my application. But although I did not change very much it is 8 MB in size.

Lokking into the log I see there are some files included, which did definitly not change. All files of tw components are included. These two components use Dynamic file linking and all the files are in subfolders.

For other files I get an message:

WARNING (11): File.FileName mismatch between Upgraded ('RED543~1.RPT|Rechner - Hardwareübersicht .rpt') and Target ('REE2EC~1.RPT|Rechner - Hardwareübersicht .rpt') Images means old files may be orphaned.  File Table Key: Rechner___Hardware_bersicht_

and the file is included. It also did not change.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Bernd

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 18:23

Are you adding the old package to the Patch Optimization filed when you build the new release?

bholz

bholz
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 09:20

Yes, I did.

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 14:12

Hello Bernd,

did you select "Use entire files in patch package"?

Johannes

P.S. It's realy necessary to give the old msi to the new package ( see Stefans message )! Because the dynamic files get new internal filenames and will be recognized as different. Have a look with Orca into the msi files - see File Table, if the files have got different internal filenames.

noquestion

noquestion
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 17:37

Hi, I have the same problem... Some files (part of the program to install, that have/had no version information (rtf, bmp etc) were deleted one time. after copying them back into the sourcelocation for the installer to get, all files were given different short path names ?! by Installshield while building a setup. Now the patch wizard in ISD 7.04 includes all thee footage files into the patch. I worked around that by going into the direct editor and changing all the 8+3 filenames in the files table. That worked once, but later.....  all was set to default again... the direct editor just had ~1 for all that files and cerated new 8+3 filenames at build time.. :-)

Is there any way to get back my original 8+3 filenames, or force Installshield to take the 8+3 filenames from the old installation package ?!!!

any help is welcome.

Thank you

tl0

tl0
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 20:47

QUOTE (Johannes John @ 2003-01-09 13:12)
did you select "Use entire files in patch package"?

um using entire files shouldn't be checked should it?

i'm running into the same problem as the original poster. i'm trying to patch a 100MB+ project and all I get is a huge patch file filled with files that I know for certain aren't modified. If anyone has any idea what I'm doing wrong or could make some suggestions on how I can optimize my patch, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

bholz

bholz
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 15:47

I found something out:

The problem seems to be changing FileKeys.

For me this had to reasons:

1) Dynamic linking. I will never use that again.
2) Long filenames. On creation long file names may get identical. For example for mylongfile1.exe and mylongfile2.exe could both be names mylong~1.exe. When compiling InstallShield seems to change long file names to make them unique. In my case the mechanism did not create mylong~n.exe filenames with "n" greater than 4. When there are more than 4 files which would be named the same short name prefix ISD generates random names like myl653f~1.exe and these names were differente form setup to setup.

So my solution:

1) Static linking rulez!
2) I manually created the short names in the direct editor to be unique. But beware to name a file mylong~5.exe or higher. ISD will change this again.

@noquestion: I manually synced the short names to accomplish this.

Bernd

Edited by bholz, 29 April 2003 - 15:48.