This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Force Uninstall Option

2 replies to this topic

Drumma777

Drumma777
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2001 - 17:20

MSI Scenario...
1. User installs software on clean machine
2. User gets newer version and wants to upgrade
3. User runs installation and is prompted to
   either Repair [ProductName] or
   Remove [ProductName]
4. Developer gets nervous because Repair never
   seems to work
5. Developer seeks advice from friendly experts on
   a way to force the user to use Remove if the
   [ProductName] is already installed
6. Developer pushes his luck to see if the installation
   can automatically be re-run after uninstall

OK, seriously though.  If anyone can provide some help with this I would be much obliged.

Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 November 2001 - 21:17

You are violating several rules. First, you should change the package code for each new version. The result would then be an error message telling you that the product is already installed.
Please look at the articles in section Upgrades and Patches here on InstallSite under Windows Installer -> Tools & Tips

Drumma777

Drumma777
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 17:46

In my Project Properties I used the "New Code" button to give the Product a new code and also the Upgrade a new code.  But for the next release of my software should I get a new Upgrade code or keep the one I just gave it?  I will always give it a new product code for each new release and update the Version property for now on.  I didn't mean to violate any rules.  Once I did this and tried to run the MSI file it didn't prompt to Repair or Remove, it just went straight to the normal start screen for the installation process.  Beautiful !!!

Thanks!