This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Migrating from IS 11 to Installshield 12 SP2

2 replies to this topic

bogdan.carjac

bogdan.carjac
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 15:44

Hello,

I would like to migrate a project from InstallShield 11 to InstallShield 12 SP2.
I'm not sure if you're aware but in IS12 a Basic MSI installation executes an InstallScript custom action, the compiled InstallScript is loaded before the action is called, and it is unloaded after the action completes. Thus, each InstallScript custom action executes in its own session with complete InstallScript engine loading and unloading. This behavior is different than with InstallShield 11.5 and earlier: the compiled InstallScript was loaded once before the first InstallScript custom action that was used by the InstallScript was executed, and it was unloaded at the end of the installation after all InstallScript custom actions were completed.
That's a little bit uncomfortable, because if in the script area I'm setting a property with "MsiSetProperty", after custom action is finished the engine is unloaded. And this property is no longer visible in "Dialogs" section, specially on "Condition" section, where I can not longer use the properties set in the script side.
Do you have any suggestion how to get a value from script area into Dialogs/Condition area?

Best regards,
Bogdan.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 16:56

A property that is set using MsiSetProperty should exist (in the MSI, not in the script) at least during the sequence (UI or Execute) where it was set. Are you calling MsiSetProperty in the UI sequence?
Generate a log which should show the actual property values and (if you have MSI 3 or above) also any property change when it happens.

bogdan.carjac

bogdan.carjac
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 17:07

Hi Stefan,

it seems to be working if manually add the property which you want to keep its value in "Property" table, at "SecureCustomProperties" separated by semicolons.
Otherwise it behaves strange, the predefined properties (created by Installshield wizard) are kept! But SOME OF the properties defined by user it seems that are not kept between custom actions.
I'm calling the property in the UI sequence & Execute sequence.