This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

1606 w/Wise For Window on C++

1 reply to this topic

skny

skny
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2001 - 21:21

Came acrossed a neat one today; In doing a setup capture of the C++ component of  Visual Studio 6, kept getting an error 1606 - Could not access network location 6.
Couldn't find (and still can't) where network location "6" is coming from; However, DID find out that just by creating a subfolder called "intel" under a folder called "Microsoft Visual Studio" would cause the error to occur - and this was on a fresh, clean setup capture without actually "capturing" or installing any media! Any idea's why this happens? The error happens during the run of the MSI; I, for the heck of it, replaced all Table data called "intel" with the word "baloney" (any word will work) and the install goes through fine! Any idea's??? Thanks!

skny

skny
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2001 - 13:53

Welp, for what its worth, I found some things out and am passing on the info I found; Seems that there's some sort of problem with having a folder named "Intel" in the directory structure. We found that weather doing a new Setup Capture, or just a "new" .msi, if the folder "Intel" is in the "right spot", you'll get the error; If you do so much as change the case of the "I" in "Intel" and make it "intel" - it works fine; Below is my reponse from Wise Technical Support that gives a little insight:
This error only occurs on computers that have Intel or AMD processors.  During SetupCapture, WfWI creates a predefined property named Intel, again, dependant on the existence of Intel or AMD CPUs, but not Alpha-based processors.  The way to fix this particular discrepancy is to simply rename the problem Directory table entry to anything but Intel.

Verify also that anything making a call to this Directory table entry is revised to reflect the change in the entry's name.