This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Please help....I am stumped!

5 replies to this topic

jasonf

jasonf
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:24

Hi all,

Please help!

I have created an installation project. I have basically the following structure

- MyProgram.exe
- bin\MyThirdPartyDLLS.dll
- lib\MyOwnDLLs.dll

Now, my installation works fine. It installs the files in the correct directories.

However, I think I have some sort of dependancy problems? I run both Dynamic and Static scans on all the files in my project to let Installshield determine what dependancies there are.

Now, my app starts OK. But when I choose a menu option (which then starts one of my DLL's) I get a wierd problem.

All of my DLL's that access the web/internet all fail with an Access Violation?

My other DLL's work perfectly, it's just the ones that access the internet?

Am I missing some merge module or something??

The DLL's work perfectly on my development PC, and also on some of my client installations, but some others don't?

Please help???

Many thanks,
jason.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:38

Hi Jason. It might help to run a scan with Dependency walker on your exe file to see if these files can locate all necessary dlls:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

jasonf

jasonf
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:00

Hi Glytzhkof,

I've downloaded and run Dependancy Walker....I'm a bit embarrassed to say I'm not really sure what it's telling me.

I've compiled my set up program again. But this time I logged off my profile in WinXP and logged into another Administrator Profile on the same PC .

I ran the setup and the same problem occurs as with my clients.

I've isolated it down to two of my DLL's that are bombing out. But I can't determine from Dependancy Walker (or anything else for that matter) what is actually causing it to fail.

I've run Dependancy Walker in the profile that crashes, and I can see AV after calls to LoadLibrary events.

Please find links below to the Dependancy Walker output.

Screen shot 1 - Just after I start Dependancy Walker and point it at my .EXE file

http://www.thegrapev.../dll_error1.gif
Screen shot 2 - After I select an option within my main app that calls one of my DLL's
http://www.thegrapev.../dll_error2.gif

Hope you can help.

Cheers,
Jason.

Edited by jasonf, 18 November 2005 - 01:01.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 19:58

Screen shot 1:
You may ned to install efsadu.dll with your setup. However it's only a delay load dependency, and your code may never hit it.

Screen shot 2:
An access vialoation may be caused by a missing dependency, or by some other problem (acess permissions, registry entry, ...). Maybe your application should try to catch the error and diaply a more useful message instead of just crash. Maybe oyu also got a crash dump or anything that might help you to diagnose the problem (sorry, I can't help you debugging this). To me this looks more like a problem in your app than in your setup.

jasonf

jasonf
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 00:30

Stefan,

Thanks for answering my post.

After sprinkling MessageBoxes throughout my application I have determined that I get an error when my app tries to connect to the database (MSAccess).

To explain, I have two applications. One (which in most cases was installed some time ago under administrator privileges) is a contact management database application. The other one (which I am trying to do the setup program for now) is a companion application to the first one and runs in the Windows Taskbar.

The companion app tries to access the database from the first program from time to time to update it. It's when it does this that I encounter the access violation.

Could this be a permission issue? dry.gif

If this is the case, how can I tell Installshield how to allow this database to be access by my other programs?

Hope you can help.

Many thanks,
Jason.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:24

Yes, I think it could be a permission problem. I don't think that the problem is accessing the database from another program but by another user. Check the current access permissions of the .mdb file. Also, does your first app have the MDB open? I'm not sure if two programs (and two users) can open the same MDB at the same time.

Since you don't install the MDB with your second setup, you either need to modify the first setup to grant the appropriate permissions, or have the second setup add permissions to the existing file - which in turn requires administrator privileges.

In both cases I guess you could run cacls.exe with LaunchAppAndWait.