This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows Installer Service failure - runtime error

1 reply to this topic

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 23:09

I get the following error at the end of the install process, just after the status message changes to "Removing backup files....".

"A Windows Installer service failure was detected when configuring this application. You may need to reinstall the Windows Installer service. Contact technical support for more information".

Any idea why this failure message occurs?. It finally installs successfully, but when i view the log in the Windows Installer Log Analyzer tool, it says the SetupCompleteSuccess dialog returned 2 which i guess is an error code that results when user cancels the action. Can this be due to any kind of error (Access violation, etc.) from the custom action code that can't be captured in the MSI log file? Its a Developer 8 - Basic MSI project and the custom actions are in C++. Please help.

Thanks.
-rb

smitakelkar

smitakelkar
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 06:30

Check the Service Pack version on your machine.I got somewhat same error when I installed SP3 for Windows 2000

See if formatting the machine , installing SP2, and then installing your software works.....

-
Smita Kelkar