This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

File version

3 replies to this topic

vince_d

vince_d
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 11:28

hi

i'ld like to use the file version in my installation project but i have an interrogation.
If i developp several version of my installation, by example in december version 1.0, in january version 1.1, in february version 1.2.
And in march i want to install in a version 1.0 in a pc which has the version 1.2 how does it install ???
the program will use the version of file with the version 1.0 or 1.2 ???

I don't know if my question is comprehensible.

bye

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 17:01

So you want to put an old version (1.0) over a new version (1.2)?  That's always a bad idea.

First do a complete uninstall of the product, and then apply the old 1.0 version.
user posted image

vince_d

vince_d
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 08:49

it isn't a so bad idea because if the new version is falty it 's fine but it was a waste of time to delete the newer version because if the project use the versionning it must be mean the version of the file.

Bye :(

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 15:40

It's a bad idea from an installation point of view.  I understand the need to go back to an older version sometimes.  Just don't apply directly over top of what's there.

Well the new version being faulty is a different problem as is maintaining schema so you go back and open in an older version.  That's why some programs automatically make backups of files upon upgrading.

Reading you original post again though, this doesn't sound like an install issue.  You're saying your want your old application to work with both v1.0 and v1.2 files.  Since the application is already released I don't see how you can do that as it's been finalized you have to life with how it works.

However, your question is pretty incomprehensible though, so please re-word it and maybe we can help you.

user posted image