This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Files getting deleted during upgrade

5 replies to this topic

avsmpn

avsmpn
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 16:58

I have a basic msi project. I have already done a major upgrade from version 5.2( and earlier ) to 5.3. During this major upgrade i have changed my product code.

The MSI project has only one feature. Files are newly added to some of the components present under the feature. Also some of the files are modified. Can you please suggest a suitable way of doing this? whether i should go for major upgrade or minor upgrade?

Now my problem is
prob in scenario 1
when i do a minor upgrade, with product version set to 5.3.1 or 5.4, i am getting files system.exe not marked for installation error.
prob in scenario 2
When i do a major upgrade, with product code changed, product version set to 5.3.1 or 5.4, the old (existing files) are getting deleted. Only the newly added files are copied.

Any idea why the existing files are deleted?

vijayakumar

vijayakumar
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:57

Are you sure the files which are getting deleted exists in your new installer?

avsmpn

avsmpn
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:04

Yes.. They are present in the new MSI.

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 13:56

Have you run the upgrade with a log file to see if that gives you any clues?
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

avsmpn

avsmpn
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:33

i ran the upgrade with logging enabled.. but was not able to get any clues.

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 13:43

If I'm right, it has something to do with the file token/identifier in the File Table.
If this value has changed and if the action RemoveExistingProducts is placed at the end of InstallExecuteSequence, there could occure this problem.
At the beginning the files are updated and at the end they are deleted, because of the different file entry they seam to be no more existing files and are deleted.

I'm not sure.
Johannes

P.S. I prefer Major Upgrades, Minors only for Patches.

Edited by Johannes John, 23 April 2010 - 15:16.