This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Looking for MSI book

3 replies to this topic

mishka

mishka
  • Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 16:11

Hello.

We're starting to develop "Basic MSI" project with InstallShield 11 for product that will be installed on Windows 2003 server. I would like to purchase a book that will help me in that task.

Now, there is a book released by InstallShield Press named "Learning MSI Projects using InstallShield® 11". I highly suspect that it is of beginning level and will just repeat help topics of InstallShield itself. Also it have only 320 pages filled with lot of screenshots of various InstallShield Developer dialogs. $175 USD is too much for that thing.

So, I'm looking for your advice for a Windows MSI installer book that will help me as novice and will serve me later, as more advanced developer.

So far I've found following books that looks nice:
  1. "The Definitive Guide to Windows Installer" by Phil Wilson
  2. "Practical Windows Installer Solutions for Building InstallShield Setup Applications" by Bob Baker
  3. "Getting Started with InstallShield Developer and Windows Installer Setups" by Bob Baker

What do you think of above books ? Do you know some other titles ?

Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 17:23

A complete list of all Windows Installer books (not training manuals) that I'm aware of can be found at http://www.installsi...n/msi/books.htm

For the training manuals a table of contents and a sample chapter is available as PDF to give you and idea of the content. They are relatively expensive because InstallShield would prefer you register for a training course than read the course manual at home.

mishka

mishka
  • Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 17:33

Yes, I've found your list of MSI books. I asked for a personal opinion for them.. What book do you think I should buy if I'm going to start develop "Basic MSI" project (that is, pure MSI setup) ?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 15:54

You also asked:
Do you know some other titles ?

wink.gif

Phil's book is a good introduction to the MSI technology, nothing InstallShield specific.

Practical Windows Installer Solutions" covers some advanced topic, so you should read it after Phil's book. It also includes some InstallShield specific information.

"Getting Started with InstallShield Developer and Windows Installer Setups" is a bit out of date.