This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

UI choices

3 replies to this topic

JoeThompson

JoeThompson
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 18:05

Hi,

I was wondering if I could write my own user interface with a tool such as Delphi instead of using InstallShields dialogs. I am personally more comfortable with programming tools. Anyway, if I could, I would imagine I would have to write it as a dll and pass the MSI handle to it? Has anyone done this with much success? Are there any articles describing the ups and downs of this approach? Also, could I show a dialog with a status bar while the execution phase is taking place?

Thank you,
Joe
Joe T

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 09:37

You can use an external user interface with MSI. There is (a little) documentation and sample code in the SDK.

JoeThompson

JoeThompson
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 16:25

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the reply. I can not seem to find the sample code you mention. I've tried looking on MSDN also with no luck. Do you know what folder it is in? Have you ever tried using an external UI? If so, was it much harder than using ISDev to design the UI?

Thank you,
Joe
Joe T

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 17:54

There's a code snippet in here:
http://msdn.microsof...texternalui.asp

I didn't have the need for an external UI, and I'm glad I about that...
InstallShield Developer has an option to use their InstallScript engine instead of the internal UI, but I don't think they use the ExternalUI function for this.