This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Setup they don't register themselves

5 replies to this topic

gronchi

gronchi
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 10:39

Hi to all,
is there a way to build a setup it don't affect any registry key (during its installation)?
Is this only possible with project created from scratch (Blank Setup Project)?
Or can I do that keeping the event-based script created by the wizard?

Thanks.
Ciao, Giuseppe

EberhardH

EberhardH
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 15:19

I'm not quite sure about your intention.

If you don't want a setup to write or alter any registry key while it is running - I guess that's impossible because every InstallShield setup writes some keys (these will be deleted if aborting a setup, e.g. via Cancel button, or uninstalling it). SetInstallationInfo will be called automatically. It writes an application information key etc.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 22:30

I wrote this reply earlier, but then lost my connection to InstallSite when trying to post it, so here goes again.

---

I'm guessing the intention is to try and loose the Administrator privelege requirement.

In any case, what you said is not entirely true EberhardH.

Under an event-based model the SetInstallationInfo will certainly be automatically called, but if one switches to the legacy program-driven model that goes away.  In such a model, one must make explicit calls for most everything except for a few special events such as OnAbort, OnFileReadOnly, etc.
user posted image

EberhardH

EberhardH
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 08:54

I always appreciate your answers, TacoBell00, - I didn't think of Giuseppe attempting to use the IS 6 wizard's template from scratch and wanting to remove all event-based items.

Nevertheless, going back to the "old-fashioned" way of a pure function-based InstallShield usage will succeed.

gronchi

gronchi
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 10:06

Quote (EberhardH @ Nov. 21 2002,07:54)
I didn't think of Giuseppe attempting to use the IS 6 wizard's template from scratch and wanting to remove all event-based items.

The only way I know to obtain this is to create a project starting from scratch (File, New Project..., Blank Setup Project, Open). InstallShield will create a "blank page script" with no event handler code. Here I put my script code and then I build the project. Installing there will be no registry alterations, not even Uninstall related regiastry entries!

Note my project only contains a component and no groups, that is running the setup there will be only "script work...". I don't know if adding file groups to be installed (for example) it will change something at registry level.
In fact my original question was: howto build a "complete project" it doesn't alterate the registry?

Ciao, Giuseppe

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 16:23

Actually you had three original questions and we've pretty much answered all of them.  Just have to string the pieces together.

However, to summarize, the blank setup you describe should achieve the results you require so long as you stick with a program-driven model and be careful of the calls you make within your script.  For example, can write registry keys/values, register files/programs, etc.

Also, simply adding a file group will not cause it to hit the registry.

To see if your setup is meeting your registry requirement, try running it as a Power User under NT/W2K/XP and/or monitor the setup with like InCtrl or Regmon.

Hope it helps.
user posted image