This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Applying multiple patche deleting shared component

5 replies to this topic

ramshah

ramshah
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 20:39

I have installed a base product and applied a patch (lets call it patch no. 1) to it. The patch installs a file say abc.exe (file version 1) to the systems folder. Now I apply another patch (lets call it patch no. 2) to this system for the same product. This patch overwrites the file abc.exe in systems folder with version 2. So far so good. So we can say that abc.exe is a shared component between these 2 products. The problem is that when patch no. 2 is uninstalled, this file abc.exe is getting deleted. From what I understand, the expected behaviour should be that when patch no. 2 is uninstalled, the file abc.exe version 1 should be restored to the systems folder. But this is not happening. The file is getting deleted altogether. Please note that the component ID\GUID is same in both the patches for this abc.exe component. NO issue with case-sensitivity also.

From the install logs of patch no. 2, I can see that the file abc.exe is not being cached. It gives the following error:

MSI (s) (84:9C) [13:56:59:255]: Baseline: Existing abc_Hotfix version 4.0.2198.5 does not match any baseline. Will not be cached.

Can someone please tell me whats happening here as I am clueless?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 00:42

Hi, can you verify that the keypath for the component has not changed between these two patches?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

ramshah

ramshah
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:18

I checked it anad yes the keypath is exactly the same. Can you think of something else that may be causing this issue? Any help would be appreciated. I am really stuck on this one.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:25

Did you reboot after the patching and then see if the file is still there? Also: self repair will probably take care of putting the file back in place if it is missing. If I am to make a wild guess I think the real problem is how you have configured the second patch. Maybe it is configured to remove the previous patches on install or something like that. I am afraid that is all I can think of based on the information provided.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 14:39

Hi Ramshah,

I've seen some similar craziness when testing removable patches. One consistent thing I've found with most of my rushed efforts is that I've not updated the PatchCreation ID. I think the table gets confused and removes all patched files from all removable patches if this value matches.

It's a longshot, but worth comparing the two MSPs in ORCA for this case.

Regards,
Gareth at Serif

ramshah

ramshah
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 19:51

Thanks Gareth at Serif for the comment. Unfortunately the PatchCreation Id are different for both the patches. So this doesn't seem to be the problem.

I tried 1 more experiment if it gives hint to someone about the problem:
I modified patch no. 2 in such a way that it does not replace abc.exe if it is already present on the system. But again while uninstalling patch no. 2, it still went ahead and deleted abc.exe.

Weird...