This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrading to Professional 7

4 replies to this topic

Poll: Upgrading to Professional 7

Upgrading to Professional 7

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 18:49

Do you plan to upgrade to Professional 7, and when?

Please post your vote before looking at the results - you may not be able to vote after clicking null vote

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 02:52

You copy cat Stefan.  Although I see you actually created yours about 3 weeks before mine.
user posted image

Lucky

Lucky
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 09:30

We will upgrade as soon as I was able to verify if the new features are useful, and I was able to testwise migrate a complex project.
I think the new update features, the dialog skinning options, and the functions for editing the install logs are very promising.

jdeleeuw

jdeleeuw
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 16:32

I was happy to see that the possibility of using Multi-Instance Setups. But I was chocked that it can't be used in combination with the Update Service (see topic "Using ISPRO7 with Update Service"). So I'll hope that this problem will be fixed in the next maintenance pack.

KiwiGeek

KiwiGeek
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 01:49

We'd been using InstallShield Pro 5.5 on our products for years, and were quite happy with most things except the user interface. It was dated, and not the upmarket look we wanted for our product.

So we tried InstallShield Developer 7. This seemed like a good idea - updated UI, Microsoft certified installation technology, etc. Hah! What a mistake. It took 9 months to get the install to the same level that the Pro 5.5 install was at. And on top of that, we had customers who were having issues with the Windows Installer engine. The whole project was a mess.

We've now moved to InstallShield Pro 7, and haven't looked back since. Development time was only about 2 weeks, and that includes developing a couple of custom dialogs. On top of that, the installation process is far quicker and far more stable than the Windows Installer setup ever was!

If you're using InstallShield Pro 5.x or 6.x, this update is probably only worth it for ease of use and updated UI. If you're using ISWI or Developer, and your install does more than dump a few files on disk, then perhaps you should take a good look at Pro 7 and see if it suits you better.
Jamie
The geek shall inherit the earth