This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Need some urgent help here

1 reply to this topic

TAL

TAL
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 11:56

Hi,
we have a release in 2 days !!!!, and now i have to add an option that i not working as it should.
i need to define a property for setting the default installation location. meaning that if the value of the property is 0, then the default installation path should be set to the Directory table entries - programfilesfolder\droduct
else is it is not 0, then set it to the value that is written there, for example c:\test.
in the durectory table i have a directory entry called PATH that resides under the programfilesfolder.

i am using a dll that calles the SetTargetPath.
but my problem is that when put it before the CostFinalize, then i get an error message 1606, that means it cannot find the network location, and the PATH entry remains as is, without being resolved.
if i am placing the custom action after the CostFinalize, then the dll sets the property, but in the UI it remains as the original path, ignoring the property.
i also need to be able to enter values in the property table to define the path in a silent mode, and in a full UI installation.
ANY suggestion would be very welcome.
Thanks.

jeff clark

jeff clark
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 17:59

I'm afraid this reply may be too late to help you, but:

This responce is based on InstallShield Developer. If you're not using IS Developer, you can do this through the Windows Installer DB.

The property INSTALLDIR is a global property and is available from the command line ( myinst.msi INSTALLDIR="C:\Temp").

You can create you own global properties that can also be entered from the command line by naming them in ALL CAPS.

If you want to use a property as an option then define a property such as MYOPTION in property manager and set the value to the default (0).

Create a custom action that sets a property value (you don't need any DLL to do this). Name the Custom aAction something like "SetMyAltPath" . Make the CA type = 51; The Source = INSTALLDIR; and the Target = "C:\Temp"

Add the custom action into Execute Sequence after CostFinalize with the condition MYOPTION <> 0.

If someone runs the install with MYOPTION = 2 (Or anything other than 0) the INSTALLDIR gets set to the alternate folder.

Since 0 is the default value, if the option is not entered, the default INSTALLDIR will be used for the intallation.