This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Loosing Files After Upgrade

11 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 15:33

I create an upgrade with a different package and product code, but the same upgrade code.  After installing the upgrade, several files no longer exist on the target system.  This was not a problem with previous updates.  I don't know what I did differently.  

It appears the files are removed at the beginning of the install (sometime before copying of files) during a remove action.  Despite being included in the new update, they are not replace/reinstalled.  What is causing this?

PLEASE Help!!!!  Any help or points to it would be GRRRRRRRRRRREATLY appreciated!!!!!

As always...THANKS!!!!!

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 18:48

Here is something I forgot to add and I hope it helps...If this 'upgrade' is installed on a clean machine, the components in question are installed.

Also, when this update installation starts, it seems that there are more app/file removing procedures executing than I had noticed before.  It removes the previously installed application which I cannont recall happening previously.  

I need major help with this!  Did I screw up codes somewhere along the line or what?

Any help is much needed and greatly appreciated!

Craig Post

Craig Post
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2001 - 00:10

Have you made any changes to the Upgrade Table in the Power Editor?  There is a Remove column in there that tells the installer what features of the old product to Remove.  If you leave this blank it sets REMOVE=ALL and will completely uninstall the product before it installs the new one.  Hope this helps.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 19 December 2001 - 20:02

Thanks Craig.  That is something I overlooked.

Is there any value I can place in the Remove column that would prevent anything from being removed?  That way I could change it to specific values as needed.

Craig Post

Craig Post
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2001 - 20:10

Funny you should ask.  I wanted to do this very same thing, but the documentation isn't very clear.  They say if you leave it empty, it sets REMOVE=ALL, but if you leave it an expression that evaluates to an emptry string, it won't remove anything.  I haven't had time to test this yet, but I'm betting if you either put an empty property in there [EMPTYPROPERTY], or  the string "" (make sure you put the quotes, so it'll evaluate to an emptry string), that should make it not remove anything.  Let me know if either of those work please. :)

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 19 December 2001 - 20:18

Will Do!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 December 2001 - 22:25

If you don't want to remove anything, set the Attributes column to 2 ("detect only").

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 December 2001 - 22:36

Here is what I have in my upgrade table:
Upgrade code then a min level of 4.00.0013, a max level of 5.00.0004, Language = 1033, Attributes = 769, and the Action Property is OLDAPPFOUND.  There is nothing in the Remove column.

Do I just add 2 to 769?  I have no idea what the 769 is.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 December 2001 - 08:15

Yes, add 2.
The meaning of these bit flags is documented in MSI help.

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 December 2001 - 23:36

I found the discussion in this topic useful in developing my major upgrade. I do not want my old version of the product to be removed after installing the patch and hence, i did as per Stefan's suggestion (adding 2 to attribute value 769). By doing this, I expected the patch install to patch the files and leave the old version of the product as it is. But the result was different. Though it didnot uninstall the old version of the product, it didnt patch the files as well. My upgrade table is:

Upgrade code - 6.0 - (empty version max) - 1033 - 771 - (empty Remove column) - [DETECTEDPRODUCTS]

Also i have made sure that

1) Product version is changed
2) Product Code is changed
3) Upgrade Code is the SAME
4) SecureCustomProperties assigned to DETECTEDPRODUCTS
5) Added a property DETECTEDPRODUCTS
6) Package Code changed.

Am i missing something here? Urgent.... Please help.

Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 December 2001 - 22:20

A major upgrade (new product code) will either replace (remove) the old version, or install side by side. It will not update the old version if you tell it to detect only.
A major upgrade can update the existing version by replacing only the modified features, and leave the unchanged feature in place. This requires appropriate entries in the upgrade table, and a proper placement of the RemoveExistingProducts and MigrateFeatureState actions. I believe there's a discussion in the MSI documentation about the pros and cons of the various options.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 January 2002 - 16:57

Thanks Craig, your earlier idea seems to work!  I created a new, null property, REMOVENOTHING, and inserted it into the Remove column of the Upgrade Table (entered as [REMOVENOTHING]).  Following the major upgrade, it appears all original components are intact.

If there are any ill effects caused, I'll cross those bridges if I come to them!

Thanks Again!!!