This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

"Hello World!" in MSI

4 replies to this topic

ashwin

ashwin
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 23:53

Hi,

I am trying to understand the basics of MSI. I would like to create a minimal MSI package that simply displays a "Hello World" message box. I would like to use Orca to do this. My initial attempt of adding InstallUISequence table doesn't seem to work. It appears I need a few more tables for a valid MSI package.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ashwin

ashwin

ashwin
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 22:34

Hello All,

Isn't there a single person who can answer this seemingly simple question?
I am getting more desperate as each day passes by sad.gif

Regards
Ashwin

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 18:06

I suggest you start reading the Windows Installer SDK documentation, which includes some samples, some bare bones database, and full documentation of all tables and which are required.
Be warned that this is a not an easy road, so you may want to use some of the available tools (ranging from freeware to commercial products) as listed here on InstallSite under Windows Installer -> Authoring tools

ashwin

ashwin
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 19:22

Thank you for your response Stefan,

But I went through the SDK and the only database it is bundled with is UISample.msi and Schema.msi. And both of them have some tables which are not used. I have to take a look at the documentation again, because I went through it once. But it did not say much about the "required tables". If you can just point me to a proper source that would be great

Thank you for your reply.
Ashwin.

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 13:11

i am unsure of which SDK you are using but the v1.2 and v1.5 contain approx. 11 databases and 22 vbs examples.

ones i would advise are: MSISpy.MSI, ORCA.MSI and MSIVal2.MSI for database examples of working products and all of the included .VBS examples from the SDK.

i understand how frustrating it is to try and simplify the MSI environment to a 'hello world' programming example. the thing you have to remember is that this is an installation mechanism and not a programming language. it is possible to supplement the installer using various programming languages but its main role is to facilitate the installation of files and registry entries into a working OS environment.

as such, i would suggest you start with the requirement to install a single file and/or a few simple registry entries to a working OS. there are plenty of examples of this out there.

if you get a chance download a copy of Wise, InstallShield, WinINSTALL, Prism, Walls or some other MSI Frontend while you are learning the technology ( the curve is steep if you choose to go from a development vector using the table editing methods ).

as far as recommendations go, i would suggest using WinINSTALL for performing 'quick-and-dirty' captures due to it's 'zero-footprint' delta discoverer. Prism is amazing for it's 'quick-and-dirty' msi creation when performing simple tasks. both Wise and InstallShield have excellent 'studio' based tools for manipulating existing MSIs and decomposing them into MSMs and such...

all said, pick up an eval of a studio based product and run through their tuts. and you will soon piece it together....

Edited by hambone, 25 April 2003 - 13:14.