This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstallation user files in per machine setup

1 reply to this topic

stasgusarov

stasgusarov
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:58

Hi all,

I've a per machine setup with some component which has per user shortcuts and regvalue in HKCU as keypath that is installed (or repaired) when user runs advertised shortcut.
Everything works great with installation. But my problem is that when application is uninstalled only current user's registry value and shortcut from that component is removed. Other users still have these registry value and shortcut after uninstall.

Am I doing something wrong or this is a normal behaviour, or I shouldn't mix per machine and per user things in single setup?

Thanks,
Stas Gusarov

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:52

I think you have the terminology confused.

A per-machine install installs any user-level files to the 'All Users' profile and uses HKLM for registry data.

A per-user install installs files to the logged-in user's profile and uses HKCU for user-specific registry data. In this scenario, for example, any registerable DLLs or OCXs will have their data stored beneath HKCU\Software\Classes.

It sounds like what you have is a package which installs some user-specific files and/or registry data.

You should ensure that any user-specific files or registry data are contained within their own components and that you use a registry entry for each component's key path. That component should be associated with a feature which is installed by an advertising source, e.g. an advertised shortcut. In *this* scenario, yes, only the entries for the user who uninstalls the app will be removed. If another user who has installed the software logs on and triggers the install by 'opening' that advertised source, the feature will get repaired. Obviously, the user data for that user will still be present.

Edited by VBScab, 06 April 2009 - 11:54.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.