This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

CACLS.exe

1 reply to this topic

bhuvan

bhuvan
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:48

How to set access permission for MSI in Wise installer using CACLS.exe? I think I need to wrap MSI in a WiseScript wrapper and use the Execute Program action to call CACLS.Exe to set the permissions on the MSI.

Could any one explain me with a sample?

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 13:34

Bhuvan, How many more posts are you going to make, asking people to do your job for you? I for one would really appreciate it if you put some (hah! I mean 'any', of course) effort into finding answers to your questions before posting here and elsewhere. The web is awash with this stuff.

- Entering CACLS into the relatively-unknown search engine called 'Google' blink.gif produced this
- Wherever you d/l CACLS from should also have the ReadMe which contains at least a page of examples.
- If you run CACLS on its own with no parameters you'll get a help page.
- Answers to your posts on AppDeploy ought to have educated you to the extent that you should know you don't need to wrap a call to any EXE in WiseScript: a simple Custom Action is all you need.

I *am* prepared to offer some advice: try to sequence your call to CACLS (or whichever permissioning tool you eventually decide on) after the CreateFolders action but before the InstallFiles action. This means that the installed files will inherit the folder's permissions. If you schedule it at the end, the process will have to permission all the files individually, making your install take longer than it needs to.

Please don't ask what 'inherited permissions' are. That may well drive me over the edge.

Lastly, all of this is irrelevant, because you are trying to permission an MSI in order to somehow stop non-privileged users triggering self-healing. As I posted in response to your post on AppDeploy, in doing so, you have demonstrated a singular failure to grasp one of the fundamental tenants of Windows Installer technology. Stop trying to disguise the problem (hiding the MSI by permissioning won't make this problem go away!) and fix it instead. For interested parties, the discussion is here
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.