This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Novice needs help to install application

2 replies to this topic

klbkrissy

klbkrissy
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 23:18

I'm am not a programmer, just an end user who bought a shareware program. When I had to buy a new computer, I found that I had saved all the files, but not the setup.exe that came with the download. So I'm trying to find a way to install the application on my new computer. I now have Windows XP, but this application used to run on Windows ME. It seems to be a fairly simple program as there are only about 14 files including the uninstall file (lol).

Since I really don't know what I'm doing, I thought I would ask if there is a way to manually install the application, or a tool that will know where the files are supposed to go? Maybe a website or forum where programmers will help users with stuff like this?

I'm just starting to look for help, so I apologize if this forum is not appropriate. If someone would point me in the right direction, I'll be on my way. I have more specific information for anyone who wants to know. Thank you.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:53

What is the name of the application? The best approach would be to download a new version of the tool from the vendor's / developers home page and then install it. There are some other options as well but those are more complicated and error prone.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

klbkrissy

klbkrissy
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:43

Yes, I tried to find the shareware again. It was no longer on the ZDNet website. I also tried the email and website of the developer. Everything has disappeared into the vast soul of internet history. I have found old broken links to the former locations. I bought the game over 5 years ago. Yes, it's just a game called Straylight. Created by FootCandle.

Guess what? I just got it to work! I was trying to post the errors I get about the path and such. (That's why I thought it might need to be installed.) I'm on a different computer and set it all up manually again and it's working. It didn't on other computers.

Go Figure. Thanks for the help, anyway. biggrin.gif