This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patch updation localization issues

8 replies to this topic

dsailesh

dsailesh
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 14:06

Hi all,

I have an msi which has localization filese for different languages. Recently, we changed some resource files and accordingly all the files are localized.

When we generated msp (which has both english and French localized files), the update in English machine is going fine without any issues. But, when the patch is applied on a French installed machine, the resource file is replaced new English file instead of French and now everything looks in english.

The versions of both the resource files are same and the log file is showing no error in using the wrong file or anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated regarding this..

Thanks in advance

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 15:54

How do you select the appropriate localized files? Do you have one msi per language? Or a multi-langauge setup that uses transforms? Do you use release flags or component conditions to install the correct localized files? Maybe your patch only includes the English version of these files?

dsailesh

dsailesh
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 16:01

Hi Stefan,

Only one msi with multiple transforms and we are using Component conditions to install correct localized files. I re-checked my patch and it contains both the language files. The component condition is getting executed correctly and as expected the English file is not supposed to get installed.

Another thing I've noticed is that, if the version of both files are same, then the English file is getting installed. If I increase the version of the French resource file, the French one is getting installed irrespective of Product Language, even in English installed machines.

Thanks for your reply

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:43

In Windows Installer's fiel overwrote rules, version takes precedence over language. See http://msdn.microsof...835(VS.85).aspx

Maybe your files (EXE, DLL) isn't marked properly for the respective language? Or there's an issue with your media where same-named files collide? (you may need to specify a source location if the destination location and file names are the same)

yus

yus
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:33

I encountered this problem, when the files have the same name for different localization and have the same destination.

dsailesh

dsailesh
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:43

Yus, you are right in stating that. I am having same name for both english and french files. If you encountered it, how did you fix that?

Stefan, I have different components for these files and the source locations are different if that's what you meant. Is there anything I am not understanding?

Thanks for your help.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 18:46

I have different components for these files and the source locations are different
That's what I meant. So that's probably not the cause for the problem. Maybe take a closer look at the log to see all the component install states (does it try to install both languages?) and file overwrite statements (including maybe cross-checking the hashes)

dsailesh

dsailesh
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:47

Stefan,

Surprisingly, when I checked in the log file, the english component is not marked to install at all.

EN : Install :Absent Request: None Action : None
FR : Action : Local

That's what I couldn't figure out how that may be possible. Another thing is, if I am installing the entire MSI instead of msp, then the French rsource file is only getting installed.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:08

So it says it's installing the french component, but you actually end up with the english files?

Did you also check the log entries related to the affected files?