This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Where is UpgradeCode in registry?

3 replies to this topic

ejm

ejm
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 23:31

I'm currently evaluating InstallShield Express. Prior to this I have been using InstallShield Windows Installer (I know-way out of date!). My old .ism files do NOT, I repeat, do NOT successfully convert in Express:huh: . As a result, I had to build new installers from scratch - not too drastic as they come from VB projects and Express did most of the work for me. However, I need to rescue the old ProductCode and UpgradeCode from the previous installer. I was able to find the ProductCode in the registry after I installed the old version. However, I can't find the UpgradeCode.

Where is the UpgradeCode stored in the registry? If it is not stored there, where is it? In the cache? In any case I need to find it. How?

Any help appreciated.

John

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:24

Express is a lower edition than ISWI. You should be able to migrate your project to IS 11 Professional or Premier, but not Express, because it has a limited feature set.

The best way to find ProductCode, UpgradeCode and the like of your old package would be opening the .msi file in Orca and looking at the Property table.

ejm

ejm
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:10

That would be great but I don't have the .msi file only the old .ism project and the generated setup.exe...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 15:01

Launch setup.exe. This should extract the .msi file to the temp folder. Grab it from there while the Welcome dialog is on the screen.