This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Creating Components.

1 reply to this topic

SilentCry

SilentCry
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 15:26

Hi,

Here is my question..

I am building an ISD 7.03 project.  I have an existing project built in ISP 6.31, that contains multiple file groups with MS System Files, and 3rd Party control files.

From what I am reading about ISD 7.03 each file (dll, ocx, exe) should have it's own component.  However, this would create a large amount of Components in my project, and would make it hard to manage them all.

So what I want to know is, what is the downside of putting multiple DLLs/OCXs in the same component?  And if giving each DLL/OCX it's own component what is the best way about going to configure them all and keep them well managed?

SC

CodeSkunk

CodeSkunk
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 21:30

"If" they are system files and 3rd party controls, first of all, you should be using a MergeModule and not trying to install these "yourself".
Times have changed, and people screwing up other people's software are the reasons that we should all be using MergeModules whenever possible (as long as InstallShield didn't make them)

If you HAVE to, then yes, you should create a seperate component for each of these items that CAN be seperatable.

For instance, lets assume you have MSFoo.dll and MSFoo.cfg and both are required for each other.
Since the cfg isn't a key binary and it is required, you might as well throw it in the other component.
Also, assume that you have a component of reports that all need to ship together.
If you felt that these reports will NEVER be updated individually and ALWAYS ship with "all of 'em" then it might be OK to go ahead and package them together.
Cases like this are the only time that you would want to do this.

You don't want to EVER do this with files like MFC42.DLL, MSVCIRT.DLL, ATL.DLL etc etc.

If you HAVE to "make your own", try to ensure that the components are seperated as much as possible and try to think about how you are going to update them the next time around becuase THAT is where you will screw yourself and the worst people to piss off are your existing customer base.

Hope this helps.
CodeSkunk
Sr. Propeller Head
~Making windows my b**ch since '93