This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

INSTALLDIR problem

3 replies to this topic

mikebsr

mikebsr
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 18:58

I hope I haven't asked this before, but I have a significant problem I have to resolve soon.

I used to use ISWI 2.03 with some success. The user could add and remove features at will, blah blah blah.

So, I upgraded the project to Dev 8, and it wouldn't migrate without a lot of work - Which I did. And everything works kinda ok.

My question is, is when the user starts installing, he can browse for the install directory instead of using the default. And that works fine. The problem is, is if he installs feature later via the Add/Remove programs, the feature gets installed to the default directory. The dialog containing the browse button never gets displayed and there appears to be no choice. I'm 90% sure this was NOT the behavior in ISWI 2.03.

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Mike

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 18:47

Projects migrated from ISWI are "Basic MSI" projects, so I'm moving the question to the correct forum.

Barbara

Barbara
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 11:10

If the user installs via Add/Remove software your product is in maintenance mode. If you like to display a dialog in maintenance mode make sure it can be reached in the appropiate dialoge sequence (e.g. MaintenanceWelcome - > MaintenanceType -> Your Dialog -> Readyto Install) Or make sure that you can read the InstallDir of the installed part of the software (e.g. write and read it from the registry).

Barbara
The difference between theory and practice is larger in practice than in the theory.

mikebsr

mikebsr
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 22:15

Thanks for that feedback. I will need to try something along those lines I suppose.

However, I have multiple installations of basically, the same package, written in ISWI 2.03 and this was not an issue.
Mike